Dye sensitized solar cell kit
With the solar cell kit, we want to let you build your own solar cells and also show how multidisciplinary todays chemistry is.
We want you to apply your knowledge in chemistry, physics and biology to help to solve the future energy needs in a sustainable way.
The solar cell kit is intended as a laboratory tool in the regular teaching or as a starting point for a project. In this booklet you will find labhandledningenmedan theory and depth information is available on TEKNAT.
We will have workshops on dye sensitized solar cells from 9th to 11th of March. On the Saturday, March 11th, SciFest is open to the public, please come and join us at our stand.
- Hidden oxygen gas has prevented higher voltages in batteries 12 dec 2019
- Hidden oxygen gas has prevented higher voltages in batteries 11 dec 2019
- “We must assist each other to think strategically about research infrastructures” 10 dec 2019
- Campus opening hours during the holidays 4 dec 2019
- Intricate fragility: packing the Augsburg Art Cabinet 4 dec 2019
- Uppsala University joins new IMI project COMBINE 3 dec 2019
- Welcome to the Nobel Lectures in Uppsala 2 dec 2019
- New book on European family law 2 dec 2019
- Researcher in the Faculty of Law is granted a large sum by the Swedish Research Council 2 dec 2019
- “Health care needs to be better at detecting anxiety among young people” 2 dec 2019
Please, help us to improve and tell us about your experience.
The Solar Cell Kit
Grätzel dye-sensitized solar cells consists of three components: working electrode, electrolyte and counter electrode.
The working of the solar cell consists of a conductive glass substrate on which a nanoporous
layer of small TiO2 particels on.
These electrodes are an example of nanotechnology: Small particles + porous structure → very large surface.
After sintering the TiO2 films are stained with dye.
The counter electrode consists of a new conductive glass substrate, where a layer of graphite is deposited with a pencil.
The electrolyte consists of an ionic solution with the Iodine/Tri-Iodide redox couple.
leading power. It dripped onto a single layer tissue which is then clamped between the working and counter electrode.
Solar cell principle:
The dye absorbs energy from sunlight and transfers electrons to TiO2. The electrons diffuses through TiO2 contact.
There, they can perform electrical work in the external circuit.
Graphite acts as a catalyst and transfer electrons from cathode of the solar cell to the redox electrolyte. From the transported electrons to the working electrode and reduces the dye to its ground state.
Materials for Education
- Skolceller, Laborationshandledning och teori (svenska)
- Demonstrating Electron Transfer and Nanotechnology (Journal of Chemical Education)
To work with:
- You can order the solar cell kit or book a workshop.