Follow the ongoing construction
31 Augustl, 2023: The truck is tested in traffic
News in media
- The unique truck is powered by the sun (Upsala Nya Tidning) 2023-09-05
- Scania Tests Its First Solar-Powered Trucks, Sees The Technology To Grow (Clean Technica) 2023-08-31
- Solar-Powered Hybrid Scania Truck Hits the Road (The EV Report) 2023-08-31
- Scania exploring solar-powered truck transport in Sweden (trucknews.com) 2023-08-31
- First test for new solar-powered hybrid Scania truck (Automotive World) 2023-08-31
Solar cells - Energy for the future
Solar cells are light-sensitive semiconductor diodes that convert light into electric current.
About the truck project
One of the biggest challenges today is to reduce CO2 emissions from fossil fuels to reduce the climate impact, and in Sweden a large part of the fossil fuels are used to drive transport. The goal of this project is to develop new systems with modern solar cells on trucks to reduce carbon dioxide emissions from transport and to balance the electricity grid.
In the project, actors all the way from research (Uppsala University), vehicle manufacturers (Scania), trailer manufacturers (MT Eksjö), solar cell manufacturers (Midsummer), energy companies (Dalakraft) and users (Ernsts Express) will collaborate for a new generation of trucks where solar energy can directly reduce CO2 emissions.
Solar energy production
In 2024, we will monitor solar energy production and reduced CO2 emissions when it is in operation.
Financing and participants in the project
The project is funded by a grant from the Vinnova programme "Challenge-driven innovation".
Information about the project can also be found on Vinnova's website.